Thursday 2 August 2012

The Olympic Games


This is the only time that I am pleased that I married a sports buff and get access to all the sky sport channels!  We have been watching lots of Olympic games in our house this week.  This is our girl’s first Olympic games (that they can remember) and we are embracing it, from opening ceremony (watched twice) right to the end. 

Of course, like all little (and big) girls, they are just loving the gymnastics (mummy tapes every full session and is slowly watching them all!).  It is all the more exciting because Jaimee is now familiar with the vault, bars, beam and floor now through her own gym classes.  We are hoping that this will inspire her to keep practicing.  On Wednesday after school this week she said she couldn’t do gymnastics because “I feel like spewing up”.  I didn’t even blink after hearing similar ‘sore tummy’ fibs for the last two weeks.  Off we went, mummy very determined.  After some coaxing, I managed to get out that the reason she didn’t want to do gymnastics is because she hates doing the push ups.  HAHAHA…I reassured her that I don’t like doing push ups either, but if she wants to learn to flip like the gymnasts do, she is going to need strong strong arms….so push ups are a good thing.  My almost 6 year old is not quite convinced, but she did join in with the session and came home bubbly and happy.  No fooling mummy! 

 Kate has simply enjoyed curling up on the couch with me as I stop rushing around for a nice change, snuggling in as close as she can get to me and asking me what everyone’s name is.  “WOAH” is heard as the girls flip and the boys swing on the rings.   They clearly love the girls the best – they ask me if they can watch “girls gymnastics” when I suggest putting the games on!  Even Luke stops and stares at the tumbling bodies on screen. 

The swimming they can hardly believe – how on earth do they swim WITHOUT STANDING UP TO TAKE A BREATH? The girls wonder in disbelief….They are in swimming lessons, and simply cannot grasp the idea that people can swim like that without having to stop to breathe!  They like the butterfly because…well, it is called the butterfly! What little girl wouldn’t like a stroke named after such a beautiful creature.

They also watched the diving (synchronised mens) and told us that every pair were twins because they had the same hair, same togs, and dived the same.  Fair enough. Apparently they wanted to see horses crash when the equestrian came on…not quite sure where that one came from, but anyway….
Rascals (Kate’s daycare) has been holding their own little Olympic games, and I saw the cutest photos of Kate competing in her first swimming and diving races ever today in their indoor pool!  They did the balance beam, and my daughter got high points for poise with her nice pointy toes.  That’s my girl.  Do me proud. 

Well, that’s our Olympic update…now excuse me, I have another gymnastics session that I recorded waiting for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment