Monday 18 February 2013

I join the Gymnastics Team!

When the girls signed up to Gymnastics a year ago, I was a little bit jealous.  Anne Marie and I both watched our girls jumping around and exchanged a secret desire to have a go. I really really wanted to do a cartwheel across that awesome springy board.  But I am an adult, and adults don't do gymnastics.  I missed my chance as a kid.  

BUT a few months ago, Jaimee and Kate's Gymnastics coach mentioned they were thinking of starting up an adults class.  I told him to count me in!  When we got the email last week to say it was definitely happening, I started practicing my handstands.  I'm getting pretty good.  I can stay straight upside down for about 4-5 seconds now! My shoulders were killing me after a couple of days of that carry on.  But it seems that the more I get upside down, the more addictive it is to BE upside down.  Try it.  I was browsing the internet for hints and tips about adults doing gymnastics, and I love one quote: "we should all be upside down at least once a day".  It really is quite fun!  
I had gone out and purchased some workout clothes because I didn't really have anything "gym-ish", but when it came to actually getting on those SHORT running shorts, I almost chickened out and wore my faded pilates trousers.  But I swallowed my doubts and told myself that if this is what the shop sells, this must be deemed ok.  At least I had the club colours on: purple and black!  

I didn't have time to get nervous before class, it was one of those days in my house where Luke was an absolute mess (having missed a day sleep yesterday), dinner was un-organised (too busy playing with new breadmaker...oops!) and the girls decided to do craft activity and water slide after school - requiring a clean up.  I even forgot to grab my water bottle when my fellow gym buddy, Anne Marie, picked me up.  

When we got there, the competitive class was just finishing, and it took a while to work out who was a mum picking up kids and who was staying.  There were 10 of us parents and coaches in the end, all of us giggling and joking but all of us super keen to get going.  Craig (he is now coaching THREE Trowbridge girls) soon had us stretching and jogging around the mat together to his crackling Enya CD.  It was like Follow the Leader as we changed our running style each lap.  I was quite out of breath by the end - cardio is not my thing!  However, then we moved to conditioning exercises...now THAT is my thing.  Give me sit ups and planks over running any day.  I loved it.  

Finally, we got to do some gymnastics.  I was impressed that I could hold an L shape on the parallel bars and manage a chin up too.  Walking my arms along the parallel bar while keeping my legs steady was quite a feat though, I laughed at myself as my legs flew everywhere.  This is not as easy as it looks! 

When it was time to do forward rolls and handstands, I demonstrated my current level to Craig when he asked.  I secretly was jumping up and down inside when I did a perfect steady handstand, I was sure I would fail on demand!  My next few were not so great, but not terrible.  We all had some great discussions about how to stay up, and I admitted to watching a youtube tutorial which suggested trying to look at your toes.  We all laughed together but actually, on trial it proved to be a useful tip!  hehehe.  I told one of the coaches that that was the extent of my knowledge though, so don't expect any more tips!  

I groaned when Craig suggested we have a go at the vault.  There is so much to remember all at the same time - arms here, then here, legs like this, then like this.  Run, stretch, jump, land...we were all groaning actually!  Now I know why this is not Jaimee's strongest event. At least now we can practice together.  I did get better, and by the third jump was starting to enjoy it, but felt much encouraged when Craig told us "over the next FEW YEARS you will be able to do this really well".  YES! That means he is planning on continuing with us Adults. 

As we warmed down and stretched, I realised that actually I was a bit sore and sweaty - I had definitely had a workout session tonight.  But it didn't feel like a workout...it was pure FUN.  We had a great time, and everybody agreed that we would be back (but we also all told each other we hoped we wouldn't have to perform at the end of year prizegiving - I said that as long as we were first up before any of the kiddies, we would look good! hehehe) 

When I got home, the girls came rushing at me from the bedroom to ask about it.  They thought it was so funny when I told them that their coach told me off for not saluting properly after my handstand, and that I really needed to practice my vaulting form.  Jaimee assured me that sometimes she forgets to salute too.  Kate showed me a "handstand".  It was special to have this shared experience with them...and I can't wait for next Monday!  

Now I am off to have a hot shower and soak my muscles which seems to be a bit sore already...


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I'm so impressed Nix. Not surprised you could do the strength stuff, you're a strong woman!

    What a great way to have fun, & keep fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome. Something to look forward to :-)

    Di

    ReplyDelete