Sunday 24 February 2013

The Gatsby Picnic 2013

2013 Family Art Deco Photo!
When I moved down to the Hawkes Bay 9 years ago, I had no idea that it was the "Art Deco" capitol of New Zealand, but it didn't take long for me to cotton on and get involved.  Over the last 6 years we have enjoyed putting together our (kind of) 1930s gear and joining the crowds from all over the world for the biggest dress up party I have ever been to.  I have learnt that there are a whole range of people who flock to this week long dress up party:




From the die hard fans.... "feathers and headbands are only for evening and we WILL give you a snobby look if you dare wear a flapper dress to the posh Gatsby Picnic"

to the "hey, look at me doing Art Deco because I bothered to string some beads around my neck (never mind my mini dress)"

and of course the "I just really want to draw lots of attention to our group this year" 1920s swimming costumes, theatre costumes, wartime uniforms, dancers and choirs that make the whole event lots of fun to be at!
Anne Marie, Rach & Me get into the spirit of things!

We probably sit somewhere in the middle.  I do make an effort to find something that is past the knee, and the girls are always in traditional long dresses and straw hats - there were no feathers and sequins for little girls in the 1920's as far as I know!  But really, we just don't have the money to hire outfits or buy the really good accessories, so its all a bit hodge-podge really.

We do have a blast though at the free Gatsby picnic each year.  This year i FINALLY managed to convince the girls to go for a ride on the old steam traction engine down the main street.  It was so much fun, but we all joked that you really wouldn't be able to get anywhere very far or fast with one of these...the poor man turning the handle to make the engine work must have been exhausted!
waiting for the traction engine
waving from the ride!

Luke loved the planes: "WOW!" he pointed at them saying.
Although we find it too tricky to lug out the real china, platters and tablecloths with our 3 kids to juggle, we love the atmosphere that comes from hundreds of dressed up people all sharing a picnic lunch together, strolling down the "promenade" and being entertained by different air shows right in front of us on the beach front.

Thank you again Napier...we will be back...and with a trip to the UK where I hope to find some awesome accessories, I plan on being even more "die hard" in 2014!


Picnic with friends: always fun
Seth, Jaimee and Ella play traditional style - in trees!













No comments:

Post a Comment