Thursday 21 June 2012

Am I normal?

As Marty and I were huffing through a series of squat jumps together last night to a DVD, I suddenly questioned the normality of our family life. Do other couples exercise together to fitness DVDs? I am almost positively sure the answer is no. And then I got to wondering just how unusual some of our 'normal' is.

Do other wives make their husbands 'do' the kids routines from after dinner until morning time? Marty pretty much takes care of things from the moment the kids finish dinner (stories, teeth, devotions, prayers) while I clean up the kitchen, and then take a breather to check the emails or...as I am doing now...write a blog. He gets up to them if they wake in the night while I roll back over and go to sleep like the pampered princess that I am.

Do other husbands bring their wives breakfast every morning in bed? Marty brings me breakfast and coffee without fail at 7am each weekday morning, knowing that I will probably skip breakfast if I get up without it forced on me. He also gets the girls their breakfast while I eat, do my bible study and then get dressed. I don't normally emerge from my sanctuary of the bedroom until 7.30am. Is this normal?

Am I a freak for scheduling every job in my week into a planner? I have a baking day, a washing day, a vaccuming day....even Kate knows which day I mop the floors on(which brings me to another point - am I normal in cleaning my lino floors by hand?)! Is this a really pathetic and OCD thing to do, or am I normal here? Who knows.

I even got to laughing with a friend today as I asked her if it is weird that I don't find sexy movie stars attractive? Seriously, those ripped bodies and adorable eyes just don't do it for me. I can't even think of anybody in the whole world that I would want to be with, even for a night or in a dream, except Marty....and then I sometimes wonder if this is normal thoughts. Even if it is not, I don't mind on this one!!!

I could go on for ages longer about our possibly normal, possibly abnormal daily practices.

Is it normal that I wait until the kids are in bed before I pull out the junk food so that they can't ask me to share? Is it normal that we film our kids every few months just in case we miss some cute stage? Is it normal that I still do photo albums...or that I print 4 copies of each photo: one for each child's album and one for ours? Is it normal that I make Jaimee do a little bit of reading, spelling and maths 4 nights a week? Am I strange that I write a blog about nothing in particular? Is it normal that Marty and I have no interest in DIY or working on the house in our weekends/holidays at all? Is it normal that we have to drag our kids out of bed every morning at 7.15am? Is it normal that they go to bed before7pm? Is it normal that most nights I just want to blob on the couch with the TV on? Is it normal that an acceptable'date night' with my husband could be playing wii games together when the kids are in bed? ...And of course....then there is the fitness DVD thing....

...I have a feeling that we are not that normal actually when I look at all that. But what is normal anyway? I bet you all do things that other people would think was a bit odd too. We are a strange and funny little family. But we have so much fun, and some of our very abnormal practices make our family life peaceful, functional and joyful. So that's ok with me. I will be abnormal...and be happy with it!

3 comments:

  1. I have cleaned my lino floors by hand too... and wait til the kids are in bed before I get out the junk food! But you're lucky. I usually don't get breakfast until I've dropped the kids off at school and daycare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my lino floors get cleaned, they are usually done by hand. Isn't that the most sure way to ensure they're spotless?

    As far as Marty helping out, breaky in bed ... nice one !!

    Yep, I used to get copies of photos for each of the kids, if they were all in the same photo, however I found I didn't have time in the end to keep albums up to date. BUT if I'd had my own "Marty" living with me, I might well have been allocated some time to devote to these. Instead I have a suitcase (giant size) of pics waiting for me to do something with them.

    Love your family and love that you love your life. What is normal anyway? You are normal for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you have a tight knit, loving family, with well mannered, loving kids. Its all working well!

    ReplyDelete