Tuesday 23 October 2012

Labour Weekend - Part 2

 I had resigned myself to a cold trip similar to the one we had a couple of years ago in October - with jackets and beanies on as the kids played on the beach.  Not today.  On Saturday morning, we woke to find the wind had stopped blowing and we were left with the most AMAZING weather for our time at the Bach.   The kids wanted sand, so we were on the beach at Martin's Bay by 10am.  Still certain the weather was going to turn soon, I was in my jeans and boots and had not even bought the sunscreen to the beach.  Oops.  The jeans got rolled up, the boots discarded.  The kids were soon in their togs and would you believe it- SWIMMING in October!  The water was freezing to us adults, but they were loving it.  I couldn't believe this was my same daughter who faked tummy aches to get out of her indoor school swimming because the heated pool was too cold! 
Making Kate into a mermaid!
Luke was ready for a nap by 11.30, so it was back to the bach for a lazy few hours while we waited for Poppa and Oma to arrive for the afternoon.  "When will they be here?" the girls whined, eager to see their grandparents.  They soon settled down to play in the backyard playhouse while Marty and I completely veged out on the swing chair and on the new sprawling deck together in the sunshine.  I read a book.  I was happy.  I said to Marty lazily several times "I can see the benefit of this bach thing....let's get a bach eh?!" 

Poppa and Oma turned up soon after and I welcomed them to their own bach!  We soon headed back to Martin's Bay - this time armed with sunscreen, hats and wetsuits!  What followed was such a nice lazy beach day, it was lovely.  Poppa pulled a SHOVEL out of his car to make sandcastles.  He was soon stuck into creating a sandcar, and when I asked him what I could do to help, he said nothing! This was his thing!  I remember photos of me and my brother sitting in his sandcars when we were kids, it was so cool to know that my kids were going to have the same memories created today.  
Anneke and Marty chatted in the sun while dad and I watched the girls play.  Later, Oma started a played a game of frisbee using a sand sieve, making an interesting game that never quite worked out the way we thought we were aiming!   Attempting to teach the girls how to flick a frisbee was fun, they played this game back at the bach for another hour after Poppa and Oma left.  

What follows is a whole bunch of photos that I just had to pop up here to share - sunshine makes for some good pics! 



"How you doing?"! Can't you just see him making the girls swoon....

A moment with daddy
Swimming in October.  



Family fun at the beach
Luke has a finger in the mud, Poppa has a finger in the water. 
Making a row of sandcastles.  Poppa is a good bucket turner.
 


1 comment:

  1. Luke looks like he has been practising making mud pies with the sand for when he gets a chance to get into the garden when your back is turned. Great images of a great family day out.

    ReplyDelete