Wednesday 28 December 2011

Catching up with Family and Friends

This has been the longest trip to Auckland since we moved to the Hawkes Bay, so I was determined to finally catch up with some of our friends and family that we don't normally have time to see.

Visiting my Grandma Towns
First up was a visit to Grandma at the Auckland Hospital (mental health ward).  Grandma was having one of her better days, and recognised us, yay! Her face lit up when she saw us, and she thought the kids were just adorable.  Grandma's mind is wandering, and during our visit it was very hard not to laugh as she told us how she owned the place (which apparently was a backpackers for deaf and blind people), then told us all about how if you put salt and pepper on cats, you need to watch out because there will be kittens everywhere!  She also made reference to a family member who got married the day after her 21st birthday (what a scandal), before I reminded her that that was actually me!!  She mumbled "no comment" and I had a giggle.

The next day, I caught up with some of my old friends from high school, some of whom I hadn't seen since our wedding.  I had a hard time in high school, and wasn't really sure how this visit was going to make me feel, but everyone has grown up a lot and it was such a lovely time catching up, laughing and sharing stories.   Our kids are similar ages, and all got along wonderfully as well- when Jaimee left, she asked if she could please come back for a sleepover!
Second generation of friendship - awww!

Tanya, Chrissy, me and Andrew
Jaimee, James and Kate watch the crocodile get fed
On the 28th we ventured out to Butterfly Creek (another place I have never been before) and joined one of our bridesmaids there with her wee boy.  Jaimee and Kate adored James, and he took a liking to me, so that was another really fun day.  I loved hanging out with Kylie again, and to be doing it surrounded by crocodiles, butterflies and farm animals was even more fun!


Kylie and Me
Lastly, one of my friends came up to the bach to see us with her family, so I feel like this trip has been a real success in terms of catching up.  Kathryn and Dave have 2 very cute little girls, who have similar personalities to mine (oldest shy, youngest outgoing).

Luke and me with Amy, Kathryn and Emma
What is even better is that every visit has been relaxed, easy and enjoyable.  I love friendships that you can slip on like an old glove, it means so much to have those kinds of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment