Wednesday 25 April 2012

ANZAC day

I attempted to explain to the girls the other night why we have "ANZAC" day, not an easy thing to explain to a 4 and 5 year old.

I told them that "a long time ago, soldiers from New Zealand had to fight hard to keep our country safe, and lots of people died.  We have this day to remember them". I figured that was enough of an explanation just now, and knew Jaimee was having a school assembly the next day where she would hear more anyway..and to be honest, my own history knowledge is rather lacking on details.

Marty told the girls a story about his granddad, who fought in the war and was injured by a nearby bomb when picking grapes, where a bomb was hiding amongst the grapes and went off when picked. I then piped up and told them that my grandfather wasn't allowed to go to war as he had an important job, he had to stay in NZ and make bombs (casements).  Unfortunately, these two stories create a bit of confusion when told side by side to a 5 year old who thinks bombs are only made by the "bad guys"!!

On Tuesday afternoon, she came bouncing home telling me that she had had porridge in her class today.  "mum, to make it...it's just rolled oats and water!" she exclaimed in surprise.  I assume that this had something to do with diet in war times, who knows.  This is what stood out for her from the assembly when I asked about it:

"The soldiers ran through the rivers to get washed, and they slept in tunnels so they weren't seen and they had to be wet all night"....

"Instead of poppies in this weather (country) we have autumn leaves".....

....."If you go to a service on ANZAC day, or if you watch the TV, you will see the soldiers who fought in the war and they are died" (I had to assure her that we would see the soldiers who lived, not died!!!!)

I read her the only war based kids story we have in our home, "The Bantham and the Soldier" this morning.  When she spotted the picture of the injured soldiers on stretchers with bandages on, she asked about what happened.  I reminded her about ANZAC day, and how lots of soldiers died or got hurt in the fighting to protect our country.  Jaimee looked a bit sad as this visual image sunk in, and she said to me "we didn't hear about that bit at assembly".

Perhaps next year we will go along to the dawn service, I have never been before and think it would be a good education for all of us.  This year, we have remembered as best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment