Friday 13 April 2012

Closet Computer Geek

Hi, My name is Nikki, and I am an addict.  
I am a closet computer game geek.  

I normally keep this side of me under careful control - and by control, I mean that I only ever brush the dust off my favourite games and start 'em up about every 9 months or so.  Because I know myself.  When I start, I can't stop for a good couple of weeks.  I must conquer my goal, build my empire, finish the game.  The problem is that the games that I like to play don't really end.  Ever.  So they stay safely on the shelf, and I stick to safer activities like reading or card making in my spare time.  
The Sims, Zoo Tycoon and Rollercoaster Tycoon are my favourites - anything where I can build a lovely little world where everything is in the right place.  I like placing the camels next to the elephants and the polar bears next to the penguins.  I like making sure there are toilets next to the pirate ships and that i am making a profit with my food stalls.  Yes.  I am a computer game geek.  

I was that kid who used to knock on the neighbour's door and ask if I could please tidy up the toy box and sort out the shelves.  I delighted in assisting my not-so-tidy brother with sorting out his bedroom every few months.  I was NEVER told to tidy my own room of course.  So when I discovered games where I could arrange, plan and sort till my heart's content, I was hooked. 

I am reliving my childhood in a whole new way.
        
On the Sims, I can be a 8 year old girl again, playing with my dollhouse.  I am playing a grown up version of lego as I build houses and towns from scratch.  I then move on to grown up barbie dolls,  choosing outfits for every occasion and creating personalities for each 'sim'.     Not only am I reliving my childhood, I am living a fantasy dream.  I can take a trip to Egypt or Paris, build a four story mansion with an indoor pool, or climb my way to the top of the corporate ladder.  I can be a beautiful celebrity with paparazzi chasing after me or be a fat tattooed slob if that's what I feel like.  
So, while Marty has been on holiday from work this week, I have been having myself a wee holiday too. Now don't get me wrong - the housework has still been done, the kids are fed, we have had daily outings and I even tackled the weeding...

But I admit I didn't bother baking this week and we have had some rather hurried unplanned dinners as I lose track of time - BIG thanks to Marty being around to help out,as I have been able to put my feet up and my screen on during the day between family outings and housework! Luckily, the girls are just as hooked by my dollhouse as I am and enjoy watching over my shoulder.
Marty is taking me out on a date tonight, guess where we are going? A golf simulator!!  You see, he is even worse then I am, although he plays boring manager games that I just don't get.  But tonight, we will combine our interest in computer games and golf and whack some golf balls at a screen.  It should be fun.  

Next week, I will have to pop the game back on the shelf as Marty goes back to work and I resume my parenting responsibilities, but for today....game on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment