Saturday 17 November 2012

Motivated, Inspired and Intentional....Reflections on Baptist Assembly

I post this only after getting home, kissing my darling husband and unpacking my weekend with him in a nice long chat.  I have woken my girls up with kisses and admired the pictures they made me as we cuddled.  I have smothered my darling son in cuddles and tucked him back into bed.  I am glad to be home, family is awesome.  

I wrote this blog, and also a post for our faith families blog earlier today in a lunch break while still at the National Baptist Assembly - it was a great way to unpack some of the thoughts rushing through my head.   I am so challenged to live out my faith in a more intentional and 24/7 way - I don't want anyone, especially my own children to look at my faith and say "hypocrite".  Anyway, here are some of my thoughts...sorry if they are a bit muddled, I have so much vision, knowledge, ideas and thoughts whirling around my head after 3 days of awesome speakers that it is hard to work out what to write down!  

“At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him.  He turned around in the crowd and asked “Who touched my clothes?” – Mark 5:30

I know how Jesus felt. 

After hosting the Light Party, I have felt like all the power had gone out of me too.  God did an amazing work in that event, and it left me feeling “used up” of his power in me.

But I feel like my spiritual tank has been refilled again as I sit here at the National Baptist Assembly (AKA “The Gathering”) in rainy Hamilton.  This time away, connecting with the other church leaders in New Zealand and gaining a fresh vision and a renewed hope in our church movement has been just what I needed.  

The theme this year has been “red zone/green zone” – what does the “church” need to keep and what needs to go in the trash for the future?  Are we engaging and moving with the changing culture of our world?  Are we connecting the young people to Jesus?  Are we living our faith 24/7 on a deeper level each day?   Do we allow the youth the freedom and opportunity to be creative and to lead? Is our leadership working as a team, with a common vision and shared goals?  I get so excited at what God is doing when I hear from different leaders and think the possibilities in the context of our own local church and region.  I plan on becoming a registered Baptist ‘Pastor’ over the next few years, because I fully believe in what is going on here and I want to continue growing in my own journey and part to play within this movement. 

As I sit here listening, sharing and discussing with other leaders in the church, I am starting to get a picture of where God is calling me.  I feel a fresh sense of God’s calling on my life in my role as Children’s leader.    I am becoming wiser in my leadership and am learning to think long term, not short term.  I will not let myself become so drained that I burn out.  I want to serve God to the best of his ability, and that means being a wise steward of the time he gives me - keeping my family safe and looked after as we go forward in our faith journey as a family and as a church. 

I am so excited about leading some parenting courses in 2013, and plan on also spending the year ahead training and growing our young people in children’s ministry leadership. I want to see our kids engaging with Jesus on a Sunday morning, and to really think about what God is saying to them.  I want to work more intentionally as I help our parents to consider their influence on their children's faith journey, promoting and encouraging 'faith walk & talk' at home in everything they do.  I want to connect with each of our children and their parents over the next few years, asking them how their faith journey is going and finding out how I can help equip them as they walk with God in their family.    

I am freshly inspired and encouraged to study for my “Children and Family Ministry Certificate in 2014, and even have longer term goals now of community kids programmes floating around in my dreams….perhaps a girls brigade (now called ICONZ4GIRLZ) or a homework club?  I see my role increasing in the years to come to 20 hours a week, but I am also challenged to make sure that every single encounter  I have with those around me is had with Jesus at the forefront, seeing people and opportunities through his eyes and being wise in my words and in my actions.  I want to live and breathe his love into my world. 

I write this down because I want my family and friends to hold me accountable.  Help me to keep this vision at the forefront of my mind.  Question me and challenge me to think deeper and wiser.  Pray for me and encourage me.  Because I know that as I return to the real world, this conference “high” will fade behind the rosters, the laundry and the nappies!  

No comments:

Post a Comment