Monday 11 November 2013

Press pause.

It's halfway through November and over the last couple of weeks that fleeting thought has run through my mind several times: "gosh, I haven't done a blog for a while". It's been right up there with "shivers, where did that soft tummy come from - should really start toning up again" and "hmm those 400 photos I had printed aren't going to put themselves I albums". But I should be used to these kind of thoughts at this time of the year, because I am right in the heart of my crazy season. With the huge community light party to organise and throw (this year we estimate we had 1000 people on site), followed immediately by a tummy bug that kept me couch ridden for days, and then straight up to Auckland for the national Baptist Gathering....well, let's just say I haven't made one Christmas card yet. Like every year, I came home from the gathering/conference with my head full of whirling ideas and inspirations and questions and thoughts. So much I want to do for God in this awesome role, it's a little overwhelming. But I must reign in these ideas and ponders for just a few more weeks, because I still have an AGM report to write, 50 presents to wrap and oh yeah, a Christmas production to direct. So apologies for my absence world, I am here, just a wee bit distracted! 

Of course, in my busy times I work hard to make sure I am practicing what I preach - investing in my family and children. We took the kids out to the speedway this guy Fawkes for the first time. I used to love the speedway with my family, and I couldn't believe it when Marty said it was HIS first time! We all had a blast, picking cars and cheering them on. Jaimee wouldn't pick a car until she was pretty sure it was winning, or if it looked bad she would say "actually, I'm cheering for all of them cause really, they are all good eh mum?". Ha! They loved the awesome fireworks too, although Luke kept making me go "over there a bit" (further away until back pressed on gate) and the girls asked to go home halfway through - their first fireworks display was rather close to us (sparks landed beside us!) and very loud and big. They did well I thought. 
T
Today I took Luke to the local skate park for the first time, knowing I needed to spend some time with him after my long weekend away. He loved the curves, speeding down the steep slopes squealing away with not a lot of fear! We had a lot of fun together. When I woke him from his nap his first sleepy words this afternoon were "more park?". We will Be back there again I am sure! 
So in this, my silly season, In all the rushing and busyness - I have been reminded of one thing this weekend. The importance of sabbath. Of taking time out. Our wise God tells us to rest. To pause. To take my family to the speedway and make some memories , even if I am shattered from the light party aftermath and just wanna watch tv. Cause they matter.

 Too often we (well, me anyway) rush around like crazy, even arriving at church in a late muddle of fluster and crazy. And then when there, we are so focused on tasks and catching up with someone and then rushing off to some event straight afterwards. The absurd thing is that we made the time to go to Church for the reason to worship God... But I wonder, do I even connect with him at all after all that?  Probably not. 
This lesson hit home this morning as I was reminded of the importance again of taking that time to pause and acknowledge God In the rush. 

This morning, we were all bundled in the car to school, hair done and lunches made after a normal chaos morning at home. And then jaimee piped up from the backseat, even before we left the driveway (when I normally pray) with a beautiful prayer, asking God to be with the children who have no toys or food, to bless them and help them..and she prayed almost all the way to school for others. Thank you God, I quietly prayed along with her, heart soaring. 

So i am reminded to pause, to breathe, to stop and smell that rose (I did that today, it smelt good!)..to take Luke to the park and enjoy him. To put God first, family second  and to say no sometimes to the things that take my energy from these things that matter. So I can pause. And enjoy. And get through this manic season the right way, even if it does mean a little less blogging! 

No comments:

Post a Comment