Friday 14 December 2012

Christmas for my Rascal!

As I sat at a cafe today in the sunshine, enjoying coke and cake with the mainly music team, I realised that it really is beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.  For me, Christmas is not about snow and winter wonderlands, it is about cloudless days of sunshine and searing heat.  It is friends, family, carols (and there has been plenty of those in our houses this month!) and wrapping presents.  It is eating strawberries, talking more about Jesus' story and finding angel costumes.  This evening we are having a games night with our friends, and today Marty and I joined the other adoring parents snapping photos of their precious children as they beamed out "He has a red, red coat" and "we wish you a merry Christmas!".  So yes, It is beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.

Kate was so excited about her Rascals party this year.  The kids had been practising since November for their shining moment, and resident 'mum,dad and aunty' (Teachers Lisa, Dave and Leanne) had done a great job coaching them and encouraging them.

After a speech from Lisa that almost had me in tears (seriously, Lisa! You don't know how much we parents appreciate amazing teachers like you investing in our kids lives) the giggling Rascals came out and stood in their rehearsed spot.  They sung three songs for Santa, who gave them loads of encouragement.


As we all joined in for the final verse of "We wish you a merry Christmas", I had to gulp back that lump in my throat.  I think Nurtured is AMAZING and have really built confidence in my girls.  After 3 years of being a "mum" and 4 years since I became a teacher there, I suddenly realised that I am going to miss this bunch when Kate turns 5 in February.  She just LOVES her teachers, and when we walk up the ramp, it is like coming home to a loving big family.    The centre is called "Nurtured @ Rascals" - and that is very true to their character.  Thankfully, I still have Luke to get through daycare...so it won't be a final goodbye, just until he turns 3!

Sorry, sentimental moment.  Back to the party.  Santa did the present thing, and he soon was forgotten as all the kids eagerly tore wrapping paper off.  Santa handed Kate her present (modelling clay)....on the way home Kate told me that her friend believes in Santa and she had told her "Santa isn't real though eh".  Oops.  We had a talk about not telling kids that, because some like to believe!  Anyway, after presents, all the kids went outside for an iceblock in the shade.  Because THAT is how we celebrate Christmas in the Hawkes Bay.  With Iceblocks, air conditioning blasting and sunglasses on.
Our Jingle Bell girl is second from the left, back row.


Kate loved showing daddy around Rascals

May these short songs put you in the Christmas Spirit.....Enjoy.....
 

From last years blog:
Taken last year: Leanne, Santa, Dave (back) and Lisa (at front)

No comments:

Post a Comment