Monday 4 March 2013

Breadmaker Bliss

I have just polished off a hot cross bun, fresh out of the oven.  I have never made hot cross buns before, but I can see quite a few of these in my future.  My new breadmaker has been on full steam all day, starting at 8am this morning with a loaf of bread for our neighbours, who are going through that awful cancer journey with their teenage son at the moment.  As soon as that beeped, in went what was going to be hot cross buns...except that I got sidetracked and didn't hear the cue to add all the extra bits that are signature to the easter treats.  Ah well, we have more yummy bread rolls in our freezer for lunches now anyway. They make great burger buns too.  Did I fail to mention that meanwhile I had the other baking for my family sorted for the week - cake, slice and bikkies.  While mixing furiously I did inform Marty at lunchtime today he must remember how spoilt my family were!!!  My grand finale was that I did more buns, this time adding sultanas and spices without fail!

The best thing about baking like this is that It gives a wonderful illusion of domestic quietness and order.  In reality it is a little different, but the smells wafting from my kitchen are fooling me.  I have had such a chaos busy week, and there are not many signs that it is going to ease up before the school holidays.  Between training as a parent mentor for Fresh Perspective organisation (taking 2 full Saturdays), the Kings Kids leadership training I am facilitating (4 Sunday's after church) and the upcoming Parenting Course we are running at our home soon over 5 evenings...there is a lot on.  I literally worked ALL weekend (although it was my own choice to spend all Sunday evening working on Worship songs for the kids!).

So my new breadmaker is doing it's job really well.  I haven't pulled a 'shop' loaf of bread out of the freezer for 2 weeks now.  In fact, I didn't even order bread this week.  Not only is the breadmaker churning out yummy fresh bread every couple of days, I have been delighted to find that the kids only need one slice of this thick warm stuff to full their tummies.  Gone is the "I'm Hungry" whine.  The girls each have their favourites - white bread being the ultimate weekend treat.  Jaimee isn't too fussed on Soy and Linseed Bread (my favourite) but I did a secret mum fist pump when they agreed they love the multigrain bread full of kibbled wheat and a huge variety of healthy grains.  Tastes just like Vogel, may I boast.  And the smell of fresh bread makes for wonderful aromo-therapy, calming my being so I can continue on in my flury of activity happily.


No comments:

Post a Comment