Tuesday 29 November 2011

Baby passions

I had my newborn baby fix today with cuddles with adorable little Nathan.  Breathing in his baby smell, and holding him as he slept blissfully unaware of anything around him, I got to pondering...why did God give me such a passion for the littlest members of society?

I love babies.  It is a huge passion of mine - the younger the better!  I have warned Marty about this: he needs to hold me back from going and having 10 more babies, because babies do grow up!!!  Already Luke is 6 months old, and although he still melts my heart every time he plays with my face as he breastfeeds and then stops to give me a coo and a big milky toothless grin...I am well aware that these days are numbered.  He will grow up and become a big boy.  Sigh :(

Shows like "One born every minute" and "Maternity ward" have me glued to the screen, watching women go through labour and give birth gives me a lump in my throat every time.  I think the birthing process is incredible...Perhaps I should have been a midwife.  I do hope that one day my girls will want me to be there for them when they have children.

I did choose a career with babies in mind though, one of the reasons that I am still working in a daycare is that I just love working with the little babies, every Monday I get to nurture and care for babies from 3 months - 15 months, and I love it. My dream job would be to be a bit of a 'baby whisperer' though, to help mothers establish routine and settle their newborn babies in those first 3-4 months....bliss.  Give me a colicky baby anytime, I will soothe it while you sleep.

So while our church considers how best to help the community, I wonder just what I can do with my passion for newborns.  How can I help new mums?  What can I do?  Why did God give me this great desire to work with babies anyway - I can't keep on having my own babies all my life!  I'm not in a great hurry to answer these questions, but I know something is in store for me here.  It needs prayer and and wisdom and time.

...In the meantime, I will continue to sneak visits with all those who have babies around me, take those newborn snuggles where I can get them and offer my help wherever I am needed and wanted.

4 comments:

  1. I get glued to the TV too watching programmes like One Born Every Minute and Maternity Ward! Can't get enough of them! Have you thought about volunteering or working for a service like Parent Port where you offer some respite to new mums by doing light house work and looking after the baby while the mum gets some rest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm no I haven't heard of that but that is a great thought....i wonder if this is something our church could start up here? I am meeting with some ladies tonight.....might bring that up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally think there is a need for a birthing centre in hawkes Bay where you can transfer to from Hospital for a week or a few days after the birth. They've got them in Auckland and Hamilton and friends have used them. Mum's get a double bed so husbands can stay over and you have people like you on hand to help with feeding, advice, support etc. I LOVED and totally needed this week just been in hospital. So lovely to have that space just me and Nathan and giving myself time for my milk to come through. It should be compulsary! The staff at Ata Rangi are amazing but it would be cool to have a christian centre where you can pray for and with the mums. You would be perfect. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have shared these ideas with the church leadership Anna and Arifah! :)

    ReplyDelete