Monday 21 November 2011

Schedules for my crazy life.

Over the last few weeks, life seems to have kicked up a gear somehow without me even realising it...it is like a creeping sense of being on a treadmill that started off at quite a pleasant pace, but kept systematically clicking just one degree faster until before you know it you are gasping with the speed and just desperately want to get off.  My head hurts with all the commitments, 'to do' lists and responsibilities I somehow seem to be tangled up in.

When did this happen anyway? Was it when I changed my church hours from one long day into two shorter days to fit in with school?  Was it when I made a commitment to spend more effort and time with our God who deserves my time and attention?  Who knows.  But somehow I got really busy!

So last night I sat down and wrote myself out a weekly schedule (writing lists and tables is my coping mechinism - works every time. If I can't sleep, I write down all the things I am thinking about - the notebook by my bed with its strange notes on it are testimony to this!).  It took me until after MIDNIGHT!!!

I even colour co-ordinated it - pink for 'me time' and blue for husbands 'me time'...red for the family times....I did that because I felt quite panicked at the suggestion (my own suggestion, not some busy-body!) that I was getting so busy that I no longer had time for my family.  Because I am a stickler for timetables and routine, now that they are scheduled in, I feel comfortable that they will get my undivided attention at least once each week.  Whew.

Then there was the housework - I know, I know...that shouldn't really matter....but you don't know me very well if you think that could escape the schedule.  I wasn't nicknamed "Monica from Friends" in high school for no reason! I can't relax in a messy house.  So in it went.

We have entered into the craziness that comes with school, so in went homework and parent help.  In went mentoring and bible study - even my bible study homework had to be written up on the schedule to ensure I made the time to do it (although I admit that I didn't add my daily morning bible reading to the schedule...that would be like adding in cooking meals, tidying the house or kissing my children...no need to get ridiculous now!).

There.  I am feeling much more organised now.  And there is still lots of time for weekend fun and the odd coffee with friends! (Sigh of relief)

hmmm...just noticed that no exercise made it to the schedule.  oops.....



DAY
MORNING
AFTERNOON
EVENING
Mon
WORK
WORK
M – mens walk

Tues
9.30-11am: Mentoring
Wash Linen
Bathroom/Toilet
Kitchen/Mop
Dusting

4.30-5: Jaimee H/wk
N – womens gp
Wed
9-10.30am:
Parent help with Jaimee
Vacuum
Library (monthly)
Baking
Kids Time (Kate and Luke)

 4.30-5: Jaimee H/wk
M – Golf
N – bible study h/wk
      
Thurs
WORK
WORK
3-4.30pm:
VL & AM for Coffee

4.30-5:Jaimee H/wk
Order groceries/meal plan
Fri
WORK
WORK
Faithbox Family night
Couple Time
Sat
7-9am: Bike ride (M)
Babysit Cooper?
10.40-11am:
Kids Swimming lesson
Reserve 2 hours of family focused time each weekend J

Sun
Church
Nite Church (monthly)

5 comments:

  1. Lists & timetables certainly help keep ones sanity in check. Yay for lists & timetables !!

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! young lady/mum/wife.....
    dont burn ur self out out or spread yourself too thin..time managment
    great plan u have..i used to do the same when sam and josh were babies and kat was a teen...and i worked...
    i have said to many mums or say "how do i do it"
    write a plan..right down to menu plan..which i planned on sundays..before i shopped... and it does work..gosh i thought in usa..people get paid big money to show people how to time manage..
    maybe that could be ur calling...lol
    good on u hun... ur a gr8 mum...wife etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel tired already - I need a wine - no wait - I'm having one already! Maybe you should too - and chill out and stop making us look bad!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually Mandy said that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy, why am i not having a wine with you? Not good enough big sis!!!

    ReplyDelete