Monday 12 March 2012

No Mummy

This afternoon, we started the usual Homework routine.  Jaimee choose to start with her book, so we sat down and she read to me, groaning as I encouraged her to use expression and to read fluently  (see my other blog for the reason why we are working on this area)!    We then moved on to mathletics, where Jaimee lost her "oomph" and tired of it after only doing one set of questions.  I encouraged her and coached her through a second 'gold bar' of questions before we gave it in.

Finally, we were up to the spelling....but it was clear that Jaimee needed a wee break before this (and some motivation), so I dug out some of my own old school books I had kept and showed her how mummy used to write and draw when I was little.  She found this fascinating, and made me read out some of my old stories that I wrote.

We both had a giggle as we read my stories about Nikki who shrunk, found herself in a toy maze where there was a talking cat (who had two kittens) and then they all fought lots of battles together before she grew in size again and her mummy let her keep the cat and kittens and they all lived happily ever after.

Jaimee attempted to write her own story after being motivated by this.  She got about two lines written: "Gigi was playing with her toys when she suddenly heard a noise.  She was surprised!"....before she lost interest - far too much work involving the spelling and handwriting for all those words!

Back to the homework.  I called out words, Jaimee wrote them out.  After I marked them, I wrote out the ones she got wrong (3 words) and asked her to write each word out 5 times as I walked back to the kitchen where I was preparing dinner.  Now, this is nothing new, we do this spelling routine all the time with great results.  Jaimee sweetly called out "Come look mummy" and then skipped away to the TV.  This is what I found on the paper:


HAHAHAHA! I cracked up laughing and made Marty come look.  I guess she has had enough homework for one day, fair enough!  

In other news, about 10 minutes later Kate upchucked all over the (newish) lounge carpet.....poor child, this was her first vomit ever (how we made it to 4 years old without any is a miracle) and it went everywhere....and she had eaten blackberries all morning so it was a delightful shade too.  Right on dinner time.  Sigh.  This is my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment