Monday 26 March 2012

One day...

I turn off the TV after watching 12 year olds cook exotic sounding pasta from scratch.  I then look outside to the terribly flaking window frames on the mold specked tired house.  The house is framed by ugly gutters and a messy  garden.  Inside, I glance over at the pile of half collected research for my family tree and then sigh as I open a 1950s kitchen cupboard complete with original flower wallpaper on the inside.

My head starts to spin as I consider the list.  The lino that is peeling off in the laundry, which also has the very trendy cupboard doors that are jammed in the holes because they have fallen off their hinges.  The wallpaper we purchased over 2 years ago for our lounge is still in a corner of the shed.  The workout equipment that motivated me once upon a time now is used only in short bursts after a guilty indulgence.  The oven that only has 2 working elements and no handle.  The bookcases jammed full of unread books is a sad reality.  The computer games I purchased but never have the time to play gather dust.  The guitar I don't really know how to play sits in a corner.  The golf clubs I would love to learn how to use are collecting cobwebs.  The list goes on....

We have conquered some of our quests.  The bedrooms have all been painted, and the bathroom has had a (very cheaply done) quick revamp.  We transformed a room that had a built in working miniature train set into a sunny cheerful guest/craft room easily enough.  I preserve tomato soup and blackberry jam, the photo albums are up to date and I have finally achieved the ultimate goal - doing daily bible studies.

Before children, I could not sit down if I could see a spot of lint on the carpet or a sticky patch on a coffee table.  Now the basic housework gets done thanks to a strict schedule I maintain so that I can at least sleep with the peace that comes from knowing that the vacuuming WILL be done on Wednesday, or the linen WILL be changed on Tuesday, even if it lookst a bit sad now.  I still can't rest easy if there are papers lying around the house, but now I just shove them into the tray on the desk that I purchased just for that reason.

I try and remember that there will be a day when I will get around to all these jobs.  One day we will have the money, the time and the knowledge....ok, maybe not the knowledge.  Let's face it, we are just not DIY people.   I have no idea how to wallpaper or renevate a kitchen, or even how to prepare for painting the window frames.  My poor parents shake their head in wonder, how can this be when I grew up with parents who could do all these things and more.  I actually lived in a house that was literally nothing more then two mouldy old empty shells of a villa when they started fixing it up.    I can't think of anything worse to do with my weekends personally, but I guess at some point I will have to do something about the state of our deteriorating 1950s home.  One day we will seek the expertise to help us with these issues.

In the meantime, I have to turn my blinkers on a bit and concentrate on the more important and pressing task to hand - raising my three beautiful children, and being a loving and giving wife.  As Jaimee said this morning (when Kate admired a house we drove past): she loves our house because it has a playroom.   What more could a girl want then a room which mummy has given over to the girls as a school/home/shop.  I bake with Kate every week, I play peek a boo with my son, I sit down and do homework with Jaimee every day.  I make library trips, teach cartwheels and how to plant a vegetable garden.  These things are much more important today then doing up our kitchen.

However....I will attempt to make pasta from scratch this week.  If a 12 year old can learn to do that one, so can I!

6 comments:

  1. Don't bother - you dont have the rolly-cutty thingy anyway. Although its much nicer than bought stuff - stick to the bought stuff love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. going to make ravioli mum - can't afford to buy that one and you can make it with a rolling pin! It LOOKS simple enough...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to remind myself of the important things too...living off one income, renting instead of owning our own home (in one fo the most expensive places to live in CAN), not having the money, clothes or other things most people seem to can be hard...but...these things can't compare to the time I have at home with my son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your parents may have spent a lot of time doing up their home, but did they spend as much time with you like you are doing with your children? Remember, we are not our parents. You are you and what you are doing comes from the heart. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nikki, we are all diferent, dont try to be the same. you have a sweet home and lovely family, you live better than 95% of the world. you have much to be thankfull for..i started DIY mostly to do something while you had afternoon naps! the trick is to do a little bit often..mountains are moved ne shovel at a time..laugh and enjoy every day..do what you can and sleep easy..love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad,
      You and mum always managed to balance everything so well, I never felt we missed out, only remember lots and lots of fun! Now that the girls are getting more independent I am noticing a bit more time (when Luke naps)to consider doing something constructive with...but i tend to default to the things I know best: cooking, card making and mum stuff! Can't wait to see you next month, love ya too!

      Delete