Wednesday 7 March 2012

Upchuck at Pak n Save....fun and games!

I am a huge fan of online grocery shopping.  This was recommended to me by other busy mums, and after my first delivery I was hooked.  No more impulse buying and surprises at the grand total, no more pushing the trolley with a dodgy wheel around a packed supermarket, no more packing the bags only to unpack them 5 minutes later at home.  Now I get the best of the fruit and vege (from the storeroom, not the shop floor), I get little bonuses just about every week (sorry, we didn't have half rock melons in stock, so have a whole one at the same price Mrs Trowbridge) and I save myself OODLES of time and energy - shopping with a cofffee from the comfort of my own home.  Love it.

However, I still like to choose my own meat...so I decided that this week I would hit my old stomping ground,  pak'n'save, and do a big meat shop.  No worries, I do this every once in a while (and always end up spending more then I wanted to - darn those cheap specials, I have no blinkers when it comes to a bargain!).

My first hint of trouble came when Jaimee refused to eat breakfast and said she had a sore tummy.  Warning bells started going off - earlier this week she was the only kid still at her table, as everyone else was off sick.  It was my day to parent help in the class, followed by a blissful afternoon with no kids, so I was a big grumpy about her sore tummy, but that is life.  I told her she would have to come to the supermarket with me though, because I needed to do the shopping today.

All started well, she squeezed into a toddler seat next to Luke and off we went.  Just as I suspected, as soon as I walked in the door I was attacked by the most wonderful specials that I could not resist.  The trolley started piling up, and we hadn't even passed the meat section yet.  Mental note to self: online shopping is a keeper!

About halfway through, Jaimee was going greyer and greyer....and started to clutch at her tummy and ask "please can we go home mummy" and then she started coughing - uh oh....I know that warning.  I panicked and did the first thing that came into my head - I held her chin up and told her to swallow it down.  In hindsight, I do realise that this was a tad disgusting and mean.  I pushed the (now heavy and full) trolley at full speed to the closest checkout and hurridly told the young lady there (as I attempted to pull Jaimee out of the toddler seat) that my daughter was about to vomit and can I please leave my trolley here...she quickly complied!  We both were starting to panic a bit attempting to get Jaimee out of the seat, with the checkout girl suggesting she kick her jandals off in a slightly panicked voice, when finally she popped out to our relief.  We rushed for the toilet, asking the lady to please watch my baby for me (again, in hindsight, another bit of a dumb parenting move).  I managed to get Jaimee inside the door and almost but not quite to the toilet before she vomited all over the floor.  Oh great.  Luckily she hadn't eaten since dinner last night, so she was done fairly quickly.  She then sat on the toilet and I left her there to do her business while I ran back out to get Luke from the checkout lady who was standing there with my trolley chatting to her supervisor, no doubt telling her about the crazy mother I am!!!

Jaimee assured me she was all done and, although looking deathly grey and wiped out, she didn't feel like vomiting anymore.  I looked at the full trolley and then back at her.  Decision time.  I decided to finish this ordeal that I had started.  So soldier on we did, whisking around the rest of the supermarket quickly, Jaimee with a plastic bag in hand in case she needed to puke again, and me glancing at her every two seconds....but we did it.

And then....as only would happen in such a circumstance....when I got to the so called "shop'n'go" counter, all prepared to do my nice quick payment from the scanner.....I was told I had a re-scan today.
" Of course I do" I said with a sigh.
So Jaimee sat on the floor of pak'n'save with her bag, while I painstakingly slowly put every item in my overflowing trolley up on the checkout counter and then put it back in the trolley after the obligatory beep.  Finally, we were released from this bondage of horror and were allowed to go home.

The good news is that Jaimee wasn't sick again, just wiped out.  But oh. my. goodness.  What a morning!

 I think I will continue to stick to my friend the online grocery delivery option.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you remembered to tell someone about the vomit all over the floor!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete