Wednesday 23 May 2012

Dancing Queen

To my children,

You must know this about your mother.  I love to dance.  This may cause you some embarassment over the years, especially at school discos which I am really really looking forward to 'helping' with.  I hope that you will dance with me like I have always done with my own dancing queen mother, but who knows.

When I was a child, I would make up dance routines and then perform them to my very patient parents .  As a teenager, I would turn my music up loud and dance like crazy, jumping and grooving all over the house.  As a young adult, I hit the dance clubs every weekend with my friends, and even with my mother in Scotland!! I didn't care who was watching or how many people are on the dance floor, if a good beat was playing, I was up.  As an adult, I am much the same in my attitude to dancing - the light party disco that I throw each year is not done just for the kids you know - I LOVE it!

A couple of weeks ago, We hit the town with our good friends after a dinner out.  The night was spent laughing and dancing - and yep, I was first up there when they finally got the music pumping.  We joked that they really need to have a 'parents' night at these dance clubs - the music doesn't start until after 11pm, and let's face it - we are just about ready for bed by then!  If they started at 8pm, I would still be dancing at midnight I reckon.  As it is, daddy had to tear me off the dance floor.  Anything from Footloose to Wham, Lady GaGa to Adam Lambart, I love it.

As a mummy, I am now relegated to dancing with my ipod on full volume in my ears as I dust and vacuum while you kids are at school.  I have games like "wii dance" that I am not ashamed to say I love busting a move with.  Even in church, I can't stay still for long, tapping my feet, clapping my hands and swaying - its all part of the way God wired me to worship and live.  

So kids, sorry if I embarrass you...I really can't help myself...I just LOVE to dance.  And I won't stop....so I hope you will join me, and together we can dance like no-one is watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment