Wednesday 2 May 2012

Teacher Time'

 Since the day Jaimee started, I have jumped right in with school life, parent helping each week in her class and helping on any class trips.  I love it.  The poor staff had no idea what they were in store for when I signed Jaimee up at St Matthews!  Jaimee goes to a very small Anglican school in Hastings, and this story started when the vicar retired at the end of the school holidays.

My little ears pricked up as soon as I heard the news that he was retiring, and I was quick to offer to take on some of the "Christian Living" teaching that was part of his role.  This is basically the same thing as "Bible in Schools" - a half hour weekly slot where each class has Christian teaching. I was keen as mustard to relinquish my designated 'parent help' slot in order to take on this bigger and better challenge.  When I got the email to say "yes please, we would love to have your help", I was so excited, as was Jaimee.   I was going to be doing all the junior classes, while the principal would take on the senior classes (thats 3 classes each...I told you it was a small school!).

I had butterflies yesterday on my way into the new entrants class.  The principal had just told me that the teachers were really looking forward to the songs I had planned (I was not surprised after the 1950s rounds that dear old Mr Pilgrim had been doing), but would the kids freak out with new material? Would they join in?  They are 5 - would the words be too much to sing along to? Argh - nerves!  I had nothing to worry about.  They LOVED the songs.  In fact, today when I returned to teach the next classes, the new entrants teacher made me go over the actions again, as she had sung the song again that morning and planned to do them daily with the kids!!

I had been a bit crafty with this time slot, and had made it possible for Kate to come along each week and sit in with the class that she would be part of next year.   Just as I suspected...she loved being a big girl with the school kids and cried when she had to go!  And Jaimee came home beaming yesterday, telling me that all the little kids told her "we didn't want your mum to go" and "can I come to your house?"

Today I started the morning with the Year 3 and 4 kids, who I didn't know at all.  They were wonderful, although I did have to ask certain kids not to call out every answer.  Hehe, teacher voice time!  Jaimee's class was lucky last on my list, and now I felt completely at ease.  I knew all these kids well...however, how would Jaimee's teacher find me in an 'up front' role?  But I need not have worried, she joined in with the songs and let me take charge.   We both giggled as one of the children answered the question "who were the disciples?" with the confident answer "Peter Pan"!!!!     I think this new role of mine is a good thing for our relationship, she invited me to stay for a coffee at morning tea time and introduced me to the teachers - possibly the warmest I have seen her.

 It was nice to have all sorts of kids come up to me after school and greet me with a big smile "Hi Mrs Trowbridge!!" And It was wonderful that the teachers got together and decided that they would use one of the songs I taught them at the whole school assembly that afternoon, much to Jaimee's delight!  It is a HUGE joy to be able to be part of my kids school life.  But mostly, it is fun to teach these kids about God's love for them in (hopefully) a joyful way.  I am already looking forward to next week.  What a cool adventure,  it is awesome how life's journey has taken me from Sunday School to Daycare to School.  Whatever next?!

2 comments:

  1. I cant even begin to explain how proud I am of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww thanks mummy!

    ReplyDelete