Friday 28 September 2012

Disco Fever!

Jaimee had her first school disco last night.  When I saw it in the notices the other week, I was so excited - I love any excuse to have a dance!  And then I read on... that "parents were welcome to join us for coffee and an information night in another room".  Oh stink, I guess the disco is for the kids, and I have to be a grown up.  I am sure I can sneak in one dance though!  Me being me, I asked the new entrants teacher if she thought Kate might be able to come along, as she starts school visits after the holidays (oh my goodness.  5 is coming far too quickly).   All good, and I had two very excited little girls ready to 'disco!"  
I had input into their outfits this time, knowing that if I let them choose alone, they would be discoing in their Disney Princess dress ups, and I want to give them just a little street cred now they are school girls!   When we got to school, I realised that i had made a good call!  Oh my. Some of these little kids are so grown up!    Some girls had full makeup on and strappy dresses on, some of the boys looked like miniature 18 year old rappers. 

 I thank GOD for innocence.  My girls still refuse to wear jeans, and love anything pink,sparkly and girls.  They still listen to Hi 5 and sing to Mainly Music songs.  They don't know who One Direction is.  They normally watch preschool shows too which i think helps with the innocence.  In saying that, this morning Jaimee announced that she "wants to watch Disney channel like her friend Jordis ' Cause we have it mum at our house!  Not Disney JUNIOR - the big kids Disney channel".  I told her I would take a look at a few shows and decide if she was allowed.  She replied "like iCarly or something eh mum?".  Marty cracked up at this reference - she really has no idea who iCarly is, but had heard about it from her friends!

Anyway, back to the disco.  Did I mention it was LOUD?  Not just loud, but nightclub loud! The intermediate kids kept sneaking the volume up and changing the playlist to their favourite songs.  During a particularly bad ear blasting of 120 kids singing along to Katy Perry "Firework" in the wooden hall, my girls came to me in tears with their hands over their ears.  I got talking to a few teachers about it (I know, I know - typical me, solidifying the "annoying school mum" reputation again) and I think next year they plan on having separate disco's for the junior/senior school. Good call!
The kids did enjoy themselves though, although there wasn't a lot of dancing going on - more running around and yelling over the music.    I tried to get the girls up for a dance with me, but they didn't co-operate.  Drat.  I was gutted, i can't dance if no one else is at a school disco!  Kate was right in there with the 'big kids' who happily took her under their wing.  Check her out pulling Jaimee and another girl from her class across the floor!!! Break dancing perhaps...or mopping the floor?  

Well, the first school disco is over and both girls woke up declaring that they were going to have "disco birthday parties" next year.  Hehe...the girls are always going on about their birthday parties: who is coming, where they are going, what they will eat/wear/do.  I guess that this is the only area in a little kids life that they get some control over, and they spend all year letting us know that they own this day!  I might encourage this one though, maybe I can get up and dance at THEIR discos.....


No comments:

Post a Comment