Saturday 15 September 2012

The Blossom Parade!

Today was the annual Hastings Blossom Parade to celebrate spring, and both our girls were invited to take part.  Kate was able to dress up and ride with her daycare crew, and Jaimee rode her bike as part of her school and the council's "iwalk" programme.  Both girls were super excited about being a part of the parade, and I had spent a few days making loads of blossoms for Rascals, as well as a few hours decorating Jaimee's bike for her -  so I was keen to see the finished products too!
I had double booked myself though, so Marty was on his own with the girls (wonderful Granma looked after Luke for the duration), rushing back and forwards between the two floats (which were about 10 groups apart on the route), taking photos and supporting his princesses like the amazing father that he is!  He was not impressed at having to be there 2 hours before the parade for judging, but I think that the "runner up for school" award was pretty cool to get - check out the HUGE balloon bike!  Needless to say, the girls were exhausted after their day out, Jaimee went to bed without dinner after all that biking.    

Meanwhile, I was at a "women's retreat" with my church family, enjoying chocolate fountains, lots of coffee, card-making workshops, clothes swapping, great speakers and lots and lots of laughing and sharing.  It was such a blessing to spend a day with these ladies, who encourage and motivate me so much.  I believe that this kind of love is what we need more of - we need to spend less time thinking up "new programmes" and "better services" and much more time focusing on how we can build up each other in love, reaching out and helping when we see a need, and encouraging and supporting each other.  This is what we need to do as "the church" - this is how we are to behave if we want to draw the community to the church - they need to see God's love and acceptance and mercy flowing out from us, they need to see us loving each other.  I was so refreshed from my lovely day out, thank you to my church sisters!  
It was even more of a blessing to come home to children in their PJS, fresh out of the bath, the dishes done and dinner almost ready to be served (lasagne, well done Marty!).  Have I mentioned that I love my husband!?! 
Kate waves to the crowd!

St Matthews 'Float" - that huge balloon bike!


No comments:

Post a Comment