Monday 9 January 2012

Dick Van Dyke and other stuff

So I am sitting here watching the end of "Julie and Julia" and am being inspired to write a blog post.  Just in case I have actual readers out there who enjoy my blog and are very sad that I haven't written a post for a couple of days.  

I was just looking at the stats on my blog actually (just to be sure that I don't have 1000's of fans from around the world reading about my life) and am quite amused that the most read post is the one I wrote about my new years resolutions actually....no photos, no stories about my children - just me writing about me.  Isn't it funny how we find other people's lives are so fascinating (and I guess it is always fun to read what dumb resolutions are being made around you)?!  Oh, and I know you are curious - 53 views on that page.  Not exactly 1000's....not quite "make my blog into a movie" status.

So what has been going on at our place over the last 48 hours?  Simple.  No housework, no work, no baking (not even any blogging)...I have simply been enjoying my children.  

For Christmas Santa got me a DVD copy of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" (how DID he know?!).  I have been itching to watch it with the girls since the moment I opened it, but have had to be patient and self-controlled - no point watching a movie during our limited time in Auckland or at the beach.  Yesterday it POURED with rain here (our backyard was literally under water, we had to move the rabbits hutch twice to dryer ground and cover it with a tarp), so I suggested the movie after lunch.  

When I told my dad how excited I was to introduce this movie to the girls, he laughed and suggested that they might not find it so nostalgic as I do.  True, but I still think the story would captivate my girls, even if it is quite old fashioned. I stayed optimistic though, and made sure I watched the movie with them so I could explain the key characters and plot - I have learnt that this is important in order to keep my 3 and 5 year old captivated for a feature length movie!  They have only sat all the way through a couple of movies so far ever,  and have never watched a movie that is not cartoon before this venture...

They LOVED it.

Jaimee was wide eyed at the beautiful Truly Scrumptious singing on her swing seat, fell in love with cute Jemima with ribbons in her hair, and giggled at Mr Potts as he danced "the old bamboo".  She was almost in tears at the children being locked away - she told me that her favourite scene was when they all come out of hiding.  We all laughed at Mr Potts and Truly pretending to be dolls, and both girls tried to sing along to the theme song.  I think this movie made more sense to them then Ice Age, Shrek or any of the Barbie movies.  These old movies run circles around modern day children's movies!  For starters, my children actually sat through the entire thing - and were captivated from beginning to end. 

So the next day we moved on to Mary Poppins (I had recorded it a few months back when it was on Sky).  Again, total success.    Dick Van Dyke rocks.  And the old musicals hold attention like no other - I guess that is why Hollywood is bringing back the formula with such movies and shows as High School Musical, Camp Rock and Glee.  What I applaud is that these old movies can still hold an audience in today's media savvy culture...they are timeless.  I am delighted that I can sit down with my children and watch these classics with them, we all giggled together as Mary Poppins pulls lamp posts out of her carpet bag and gasped as Bert draws pictures that they can jump into.  Kate and Jaimee were most upset as Jane and Michael had tears in their eyes after the bank scene..."Mummy, are they ok? Mummy...are they crying?"  Hmm...I wonder if they are ready for The Sound of Music?  Probably not, but I confess I have that one on DVD already waiting for the next rainy day!  

I will finish this post by commenting on my adorable baby boy.   Luke is 7 1/2 months old now for those who are counting.  It is such a CUTE stage, it is really almost too much for me, he is just way too CUTE at the moment.  He loves to lie on the ground, blowing rasberries and cooing loudly as he grabs a pudgy little foot in his equally pudgy little hand and smile at everyone who walks past (especially at the cats).  He is now rolling everywhere at an alarming rate and often gets stuck in a corner somewhere.  He is even able to pull himself up on all fours for a few seconds - I find this quite alarming, and tell Marty off for encouraging it (he lies in front of Luke like a cheerleading squad, urging him to move forwards).  Breastfeeding him can be quite frustrating now - if there are any distractions at all in the room (a cat wandering past, a sister talking, a TV on) he cranes his head around and twists his body every way possible to stare!  I have learnt to give up and wait until he is really hungry in such situations.  And his newest trick?  When he is getting full at the end of a (solid) meal, he grins cheekily and shakes his head back and forward.  This makes his entire family turn into a pack of ridiculous idiots as we all shake our heads back at him crazily until he does it again.  I am sure that is why he is grinning - He has us all wrapped around his little finger like puppets.  Typical youngest!  


No comments:

Post a Comment