Monday 2 January 2012

Snells Beach Bliss

beach babes



One thing I really miss about Auckland is the beaches.  The East Coast has nothing on the beaches of my childhood.  I remember many happy summers at  Browns Bay beach as a child, jumping into the natural foaming and crashing pool created from the rocks at high tide, sticking our fingers into anemonies and giggling as they sucked them at low tide.  And making countless sand castles on the golden beaches without the wind that seems to always be blowing sand into my eyes or stinging my legs in the Hawkes Bay. 
finding cool shells at Scotts Landing

So a big part of our holiday is the days that we spend at my dad’s bach in Snell’s beach (an hour north of Auckland).  The bach is not something that we grew up with, my parents purchased it about a year before I got married, but it has become a favourite place for our family now that we have children.  It is just such a pity that it is 8 hours from home, or we would spend much more time at the Bach.  The beaches are amazing – there are at least three to choose from within 5 minutes from our place, all on different sides of the bay, so that there is always an option on a windy day – we just look at which way the wind is blowing, and go to the beach which will be the most sheltered. 

Luke is not so sure
what is this sandy stuff?!
We couldn’t believe how God turned on the weather for us…we had driven out of Auckland in the same pouring rain that had covered all of New Zealand for the last few days….and when we got here, we had sunshine.  We quickly chucked on togs. Grabbed towels and made for the beach while we could.  Scotts Landing was first up this trip… a very shelly beach popular for fishing boats.  The kids had a blast.  They were both straight into the water with their buckets, finding shells and stones that were ‘treasures’ and cleaning them in the water so that they sparkled.  Jaimee begged me to let her take some home “so she can remember”.  Awww…how can I say no to that?!  I taught the girls how to pop the seaweed pods so they squirted water, much to their delight.  Luke was not so impressed with his first visit to the beach, my quiet and placid boy promptly burst into tears when we dipped his wee toes into the cool water!  He tried eating sand, didn’t like that much either.  I felt very content with life sitting on towels in the sunshine with Marty and Luke watching the girls lie in the shallow water and pretend they were swimming ( their tummy’s were on the ground – that doesn’t count girls, but good trying)! 

The running-away-from-waves game!
Sandy fun - brings back memories!
The next day (New Year’s day) we had more sunshine while it hosed down in Hastings….feeling very good about this holiday timing right now!  We took the girls out to Martin’s Bay – their favourite beach in the area because it has golden sandy beaches perfect for sandcastles.   We stayed for 3 hours this time (yes, that is a long beach trip with a baby and 2 little ones), the sun was streaming, the beach wasn’t crowded and the water was warm.  Jaimee and Kate made castles with me first – I think I enjoy this just as much as when I was a kid, and I am much more strategic about it as an adult too with my placement of moats, turrets and decorations!  They lost interest long before I had finished making the moat.    We then played an energetic game of “jumping the waves’ at the water’s edge (and by waves I mean ankle deep).    Kate made the rules – we had to run and jump over the wave, then turn around and run screaming to the castle, jump into the hole in the sand and then laugh a lot.  Then we did it again.  And again. 

By this stage I was ready for a swim, and that’s not something I always do at the beach, it has to be really warm to lure me in.  So while the rest of the country huddled indoors, I thanked God for blessing our few precious days at the beach with sunshine.  Diving under felt so refreshing and cool, it was delicious.  When I came in I felt great but had an ear ache –I really must remember to pack ear plugs but never ever do.  The girls were still having fun, alternating digging holes and getting covered in sand (Kate managed to get her entire face sandy) with playing chicken in the waves – this game involves sitting down in the shallow water, then jumping up before the waves break and come in.  Marty and I watched lazily from a blanket, while Luke rolled around with a toy (he seemed much happier with the beach today and just gave the water a puzzled look when we stood him in the shallows this time).  I had the joy of introducing the girls to the art of writing in the sand with driftwood this time, and Marty dragged them on boogy boards in the shallows.
Shallow and safe!
Kayaking with Poppa

Dad joined us on the 2nd, so we grabbed the Kayaks and went down to Snells Beach.  The sun broke through once again for us, and we had an amazing time.  The kids love the Kayaks, and the beach is so safe for them as it is like a giant paddling pool - the water doesn't get past your waist level for miles out! We Kayaking across the beach to a rope swing, had a swing each and then went back, with Jaimee perching on the edge of Poppa's kayak kicking the water - he said she was his "splash-a-matic" extra power! 
  
Snells Beach Bliss
I love these kiwi summer experiences that are just like my own childhood.  The beach is the perfect entertainment spot for little ones – especially because it doesn’t cost anything.  The beach is timeless, it is natural and it brings all ages together.  I just wish we had some of these safe and placid beaches closer to home – these pool like beaches that are flat as a pancake, don’t get deeper than your waist for miles, and are as warm as a bath.   I am not a surfer, I don't need waves.  These beaches are perfect for pre-schoolers, and for their parents.  I plan on bringing my kids back to Snell’s beach for a few more summers yet while I have the opportunity.  

2 comments:

  1. The trip sounds fantastic, you are so lucky the weather was good :)

    I didn't know you had kayaks, cool! I would love to get some for us one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad has 4 - he is planning to bring them to Hawkes Bay when he eventually moves here, so you will have to come up and go for a paddle with us!

    ReplyDelete