Thursday 19 January 2012

Heels to playgroup

This morning I decided to wear a dress - it's summer and I was off to work, so why not?  I don't wear dresses every day, and I haven't pulled this one out for a while...but I do normally make a bit of effort to look nice, especially when it is a 'church' day.

After flipping through my (very limited) collection, I decided on this funky one that mum picked out for me when she was in Scotland last - she is really good at picking me dresses and hasn't got my size wrong yet!

I didn't think anything of my choice, until I got out of the car at Rascals to drop off Kate.  First clue that normal people don't wear dresses and heels to work was Dave's reaction (Kates teacher): "WOW - awesome dress!! My wife would love that!".  (When I returned to pick Kate up, he nervously asked me if he could take a photo to show his wife!  I burst out laughing and submitted!)
Moving on to the baby house, where I work on Mondays.  Clue number 2 was found in the stares and in Shelley's reaction:  "NIKKI - You look BEAUTIFUL....where are you going?"  
"Umm....to work.....to run the playgroup" I replied with a sheepish grin.  All the Rascals teachers nearby cracked up laughing.  Rhondda even requested a blog about my dress please (here it is!) 

Yes, I am wearing a beautiful dress and high heels to playgroup.  In hindsight, perhaps 
not normal mummy-wear!!  



Heels are normal - aren't they?!





Seriously though, I just like to look nice!  When I became a mummy, I decided that I would always make an effort - I didn't want to become a slob just because I was a mummy.  So I chucked out all my trackies (only one pair of yoga pants for exercise made the cut) and basically anything that I would be embarrassed to be seen in.  I confess...I wear foundation and lipstick every day, even if I have no plans.  You know that I am having an 'extreme blob' day if I have my glasses on and no earrings in. Looking pretty gives me confidence, it helps me feel prepared for the day, and, let's be honest - it makes Marty happy!

I was asked if I would change when I get home.  Nope...in fact, I often totally forget that I am wearing heels and end up in them all day long.  And I have been spotted doing the gardening in a nice top, trousers and boots!

Rounding up the rabbits in heels.  That is normal!
Oh, but you need to know that I don't generally look in a mirror once I am sorted for the day.  My hair and makeup lose their lusture by about lunchtime, but that's ok.  I gotta have some 'normal' behaviour to counteract heels to playgroup I guess!!



In the middle of writing this, my neighbour popped over to grab some lemons and she complimented me on my beautiful dress.  (SEE - people DO pop, this is why I make an effort!).

Well, must go...Marty just got home.  He looked at me, looked again and said "You're looking a bit hot...what's going on?!".   I laughed and told him to read this post!

3 comments:

  1. i read this and its funny. i'm so in agreeance that clothes of all types should be worn an not left in wardrobe. i mean lots we (or someone) paid good money for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Nix! Life is too short for trackies, I think it's fab you're in your heels. On Mad Men the women look fantastic all the time, even if they're doing the dishes (ok, I know it's a TV show, but I think we live in a pretty sloppy era compared to the "olden days").

    Now you just need some polish on those toes! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha Nikki, only you would chase rabbits in high heels!!! Although in saying Paul would love it if I wore mine a whole lot more but at heart I'm just a trackies kinda girl!!!! Try to make an effort sometimes tho!!!

    ReplyDelete