Thursday 12 January 2012

Why?

Jaimee is currently going through a curious stage.

All day, constantly, she is questioning how things work, why things are the way they are and how they got that way.   Sometimes she just likes to pose random situations to me just to see how I will answer her ideas.   I am working on my 'patience-of-a-saint'ness and trying to answer her questions as they come up.

For example, on the way to Napier recently this was our conversation:

"Mum, is that a cow?"
"Yes"
"But it's black.  I thought cows were brown?"
"Cow's come in different colours...brown, white, black patterns"
"oh....what about pink?"
"No, not pink"
"But WHAT IF someone PAINTED the cows different colours?!"
(hmmm...)"Well, then I guess they would be painted cows.  Like face paint" (pause - me thinking on that) "I can show you some pictures of some painted cows on the internet when we get home if you want"

You get the picture. She also was asking heaps of questions about giving birth, which led to a discusson on C-sections, which led to her watching the end of an episode of "One Born every Minute" (my favourite birthing doco) with me, very wide-eyed and taking it all in.  There was a water birth, and she knew Kate was born in the water so found that interesting.  She was quite intrigued by the blood that was on the newborns too, she asked if she was covered in blood when she came out (a little, yes).   At the end of it, she turned to me and said "But mum, I wanted to see when they cut the tummy open" (it had been a natural birth this time)!

Today we passed one of those trucks that transport cars.  She wanted to know what kind of truck that was (No idea - so I told her that it was one that transports cars), then she wanted to know how they got on the truck (they drove), then she wanted to know how they got UP the top level of the truck (there is a ramp).  Its rather exhausting!

I am grateful that she has an inquisitive mind, that she is making sense of the world she lives in and that she pays attention to detail.  But Jaimee darling, sometimes mummy just doesn't know the answer!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha if I tell Brianna I don't know something, she is always like "tell me" and I have to keep telling her if I say "I don't know" it means I don't know, not that I'm just not telling her!!!!!! Yes rather exhausting I agree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh but mummy comes up with some very good answers and it answers her questioning! lol

    best of luck as you have 2 other darlings to ask you similar questions, but hopefully Jaimee can answer some for you by then!

    Abbie

    ReplyDelete