Saturday 7 January 2012

Introducing Misty and Bella

Over the last few months, we have been 'rabbit sitting' for Misty and Bella while their parents have been away for long weekends here and there.  The kids have loved having temporary ownership over these two very cute bunnies.

So when we were asked if we would like to adopt the rabbits permanently, I was sorely tempted.  Marty and I looked at each other, and neither one of us could say no, but neither one of us was willing to make the commitment either!  We told Abby & Dan ('parents' of said rabbits) that if they couldn't find a loving home for them, then we would take them.  And that was the end of that...
Not quite.  

While we were in Auckland, we visited Butterfly creek, which includes a lovely little petting farm as part of the fun.  My sister and kids were going crazy over the little bunnies, and I started to regret my decision not to take the rabbits.  It's that stupid shopping/desiring-what-I-don't-have feeling that kicked in. What was I thinking? Why can't we have rabbits?  I want them.  I had a quick whisper in Marty's ear, who rolled his eyes, laughed, and gave me the go ahead.  A few hurried text messages later, and the rabbits were ours.  

When Abby and Dan dropped them off, they confessed that they hadn't really actively tried to find another home for them because they thought I might change my mind (Gosh, she knows me far too well!) and that we were their first choice for adoptive parents (awww...I feel trusted).  

Misty and Bella 
So now we have two adorable rabbits.  They are mini-lops bred with a giant flemish rabbit (I raise my eyebrows at the logistics of a mini and a giant rabbit breeding), so are very floppy eared and adorable.  Abby and Dan have already done the hard work for us - they came with a roomy hutch, food, straw, a portable cage and best of all, they are toilet trained!!! 
Kate on the very important door duty

We 'bunny proofed' our back yard, and now the rabbits happily hop around when we let them out for a play.  Thankfully, they know to go home to the hutch when they are being chased, so we are teaching the girls how to round them up ("no, don't stand there or they won't go in that direction, go BEHIND them"!) . Kate loves to be in charge of shutting their hutch door after they hop back home. As long as they are watched carefully (stay out of the vege garden thank you very much), they look so cute hopping around while we watch them.

Our cats love it when we let them out for a play - Bogey likes to play stalk, pounce and tag with the rabbits, who don't seem to mind at all - in fact, they have their turn chasing Bogey around the yard which is hilarious to watch!   

Misty and Bogey hang out
Who is stalking who?!

I am still figuring out how to pick them up without getting clawed (I have the scratches to prove it) but once they are on their backs and I am stroking their ears they settle down and the girls can have a touch....although catching them is only possible as they go out the hutch door at the moment, they are fast little suckers and Marty had a good laugh watching me chase Misty around and around a bush in the yard.
  
All tired out after a run around in the yard
So thank you Abby and Dan, we will take good care of Misty and Bella!

Marty joked that we might as well get a miniature horse at the rate we are collecting animals, we now own 2 fish, 2 cats and 2 rabbits.  Personally I am much more interested in getting a couple of chickens to lay eggs for us, hmmmm....

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Looks like they have a great new home :)

    You should totally get chooks, you have room in your back yard for a hutch - it'll be like a mini farm at your place :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that they are much loved bunnies! i know that they will have loads of fun at their new home!

    thanks soooooo much for taking them. yes we have a few giggles when we try and chase them back to their cage too.

    oooh chooks! fun!

    Abbie

    ReplyDelete